2006-03-30

Hard Hardware

All right, I'm getting used to OS X. I have two big challenges to go:
  1. Get my printer to work (a Lexmark E210)
  2. Get my scanner to work (a Mustek 1200 UB Plus)
Why this is a challenge? Because even under Windows XP the driver situation is not really terrific. Windows XP does not recognize my printer and scanner. For the printer the solution is easy: use the install CD that came with the printer to install the driver and you're done. What happens when a new Windows version comes out, I don't know. Probably my printer is useless under Windows by then. The scanner is a harder beast. It takes downloading and installing two huge driver sets from Mustek. And even then the scanner is not really reliable.

Under Linux you would expect an even worse situation. Wrong. Linux distributions like Fedora, Ubuntu and such automatically recognize my printer. The scanner is slightly harder: it takes downloading one firmware file and changing a setting in a config file. Done.

So now OS X. Luckily it resembles the Linux situation a little.

Lexmark E210
I downloaded the right drivers from the LinuxPrinting people. You can find it here. You need both packages, install the espgs package first. It's still PowerPC architecture, but it works. Add the printer, done.

Mustek 1200 UB Plus
Download the following from here:
TWAIN SANE Interface, SANE Preference Page, SANE Backends, libusb and install them in reverse order. Download the firmware file and make the same (!) change in the config file to override the scanner type. Done. Scanning works. There is on challenge left: the Apple Image Capture tool is a little hard-headed. It needs it's own configuration file describing my scanner. I leave that as an excercise to the reader. The command-line 'scanimage' command works. I'm ready for now.

Well, that was not too hard. I like this UNIX like OS!

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Do you mind sharing your config lines for sane for the scanner? I have the same one, but I can't get it to work. It says "no scanner found" even though I thought I did it correctly (and if I have it look for the scanner, I got the device ID for it)

Anonymous said...

hi I too have a Mustek 1220UB Plus scanner. Could you explain where you placed the firmware file and what changes you made to the configuration file and also which config file. thanks.

CaptainV24 said...

The config file to change is:
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/gt68xx.conf

Decomment (remove the #) in front of the line that looks like this:
#override "mustek-scanexpress-1200-ub-plus"

If there is another override line that is not commented out, you should probably comment it out.

The firmware file should go into the following directory:
/usr/local/share/sane/gt68xx
with permissions:
-rw-r--r-- and owner:root group:wheel

Hope this helps...

Cathy said...

Thanks - I'll give that a shot (I think that's what I did, but I'll check again)

buch_1981 said...

Thanks for the lexmark E210 info. I bought my mac a few months ago and was about to through out my printer when I stumbled across your blog. Your recommendations worked and now I am able to print!
Thanks a lat!