2006-03-17

Some surprises on the Install discs

I'm used to Gimp for editing pictures. So I downloaded a copy of Gimp for Mac OS X and ... it missed Apple's X11. In the hope I could find X11 on the discs I got with the mini I popped the "Mac mini Mac OS X Install Disc1" in the drive. Well, X11 is not there (later on it turns out that X11 is there, see next post), but to my surprise there are two additional applications available on the disc that are not pre-installed from the factory:
  • Quicken 2006 (full version, no restrictions it seems)
  • Microsoft Office 2004 (30 day trial version) (available in a few different languages)
These applications can be installed using the "Install Bundled Software Only" option in the menu that comes up after inserting the Install Disc. In the screen "Installation Type" I hit the "Customize" button and deselected everything but the Quicken and Office. This prevented the Installer from upgrading everything that was already installed. The installation went flawless...

However, both applications are not Universal. In the case of Quicken I didn't even notice that it was being emulated by Rosetta, but Office was notably slow. The system comes pre-installed with a trial-version of iWork '06. Keynote is a Universal application and is notably faster than PowerPoint.

No comments: