2006-03-21

Tooltime

This evening I downloaded the tools mentioned in the previous post.

Desktop Manager
Great virtual desktop manager. Nice effects for changing the current virtual desktop. Two 'problems' however:
  1. When changing the desktop Desktop Manager can display the name of the selected desktop. Works only for the first desktop. Strange.
  2. I'm used to having different backgrounds per virtual desktop. No such feature in Desktop Manager
But hey, it's Open Source. I can change it, if I have the time...

Witch
I absolutely like Witch. I mapped Alt-Tab and Shift-Alt-Tab to the Witch window switcher. Great. It shows all the available windows. Also mapped the Apple-key+Z to 'Zoom Window'. I was missing that from the default key bindings.

Butler
Butler was a little strange for me. Don't exactly know what problem/need it tries to solve. It looks very very feature-rich but that comes at a price: Clarity. I did like the fact that it can create extra menus in the Apple Menu in my screen. Maybe I'll use it some day.

ServiceScrubber
I did use ServiceScrubber to remove a 'to chinese converter' from that strange Service menu. I'm not really used to the service menu, so I cannot really judge the value of this tool.

Well, that's it for today. Played my table-tennis competition this evening, so no playing around with Mac mini's. Just this blog entry.

No comments: